Thursday, June 2, 2011

One Pot Wednesday: Papaya Chicken

I know, I know...I've skipped this for 2 weeks...but it was a busy week at work...I think I worked like 60+ hours......and today isnt Wednesday...but I forgot yesterday was Wednesday cuz the work week started on Tuesday this week....lols.

So here is the one pot recipe for this week. I have thinking about making this for a while now....I think it came from the Cooking Channel....cant remember where I saw it now...

So I bought the papaya like over a week ago...it started to get pretty ripe...in fact, the 2nd papaya i bought was molding and kinda started to melt....so ummmm....eeeeeeeew.


The papaya I ended up using for this was pretty big...1 papaya was actually closer to 2 cups so I ended up making a double batch of this. The papaya are pretty easy to work with....Use a peeler to peel the skin, cut it into 4 pieces and scoop out the seeds and then cut the papaya into chunks.

The dish turned out pretty good.....I added a little bit of chili pepper flakes to give it a little bit of extra kick. The smoky-ness of the herbs (cumin, paprika, etc.) goes really well with the sweetness of the papaya and the tartness from the yogurt. I definitely would make this one again.


Ingredients:
2 tablespoon grapeseed oil (or olive oil)
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoon grated garlic
1 tablespoon grated ginger
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1 teaspoon paprika
2 lb chicken breast
1/2 cup yogurt
1 cup papaya chunks.

Directions:

  1. Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil.
  2. When the oil is hot, add the onion, garlic and ginger and saute until the onion is softened, about 4 minutes.
  3. Add the cumin seeds, coriander, fenugreek seeds, and paprika and toast for 10 seconds
  4. Add the chicken pieces and cook until it is nearly done, about 8 minutes.
  5. Add the yogurt and finish cooking the chicken, about 2 more minutes
  6. Stir in the papaya chunks.

See how easy that was! I would suggest serving it with roti, naan, or rice. Give it a try and let me know what you think...and as always....stay consumed!

1 comment:

  1. i'm a little selective about fruit in my savory food (not that i don't do it...just takes me a minute), but this sounds interesting and good!

    a tip for over-ripe papayas, i actually cut them in half, scoop the seeds out, slice the papayas length-wise and THEN i just run a knife just above the skin. then i cut them into cubes. less squishing. but you're more adept at the knife than i am. haha

    ReplyDelete