This is some rocking chili--my brother and my best friend's brother once ate like 10lbs of meat of it in one sitting....so make alot if you are feeding people who like to eat lols. I use turkey, rather than beef cuz my brother doesnt eat beef and so its less fattening :) I think the original recipe came from Cooking Light....but I adjust it whenever I make it...here it is:
6 ounces hot turkey Italian sausage
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
8 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound ground sirloin (I replace this with ground turkey)
1 jalapeño pepper, chopped (I usually dont add this, but i will add about a teaspoon of ground chipotle and or cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cumin
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 bay leaves
1 1/4 cups Merlot or other fruity red wine
2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained and coarsely chopped
2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat a large dutch oven/pot over medium-high heat.
- Remove casings from sausage.
- Add sausage, onion, and the next 4 ingredients (onion through jalapeño) to pan; cook 8 minutes or until meat is browned, stirring to crumble.
- Add chili powder and the next 7 ingredients (chili powder through bay leaves), and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in wine, tomatoes, and kidney beans; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Discard the bay leaves.
- Sprinkle each serving with cheddar cheese.